People Are Protesting the Fatal Police Shooting of Rayshard Brooks In Atlanta

On Friday night, a 27-year-old black man named Rayshard Brooks was fatally shot by police during an altercation that Atlanta Mayor Keisha Bottoms said didn’t warrant “a justified use of deadly force.”

One minute, Brooks was calmly chatting with the two officers who found him sleeping in his car. The next, they were all wrestling on the ground and fighting over a Taser gun. The incident turned deadly when Brooks took the Taser and tried to run away.

By Sunday, Atlanta’s police chief had resigned, and the officer who shot and killed Brooks was fired. Atlanta citizens incensed by the killing have taken to the streets to protest. Here’s everything you need to know.

This content is imported from YouTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

What happened to Rayshard Brooks on June 12, 2020?

Just after 10:30 p.m. on Friday night, police officers Devin Brosnan and Garret Rolfe responded to a complaint that a man had fallen asleep in his car in the drive-through of a Wendy’s on University Avenue in southwest Atlanta, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

The officers, who are both white, gave Brooks a sobriety test, which he allegedly failed. At one point during the encounter, Brooks told the officers, “I know you’re just doing your job.”

When they tried to arrest him, he “resisted and a struggle ensued,” according to the GBI. Less than a minute later, he was fatally shot.

The New York Times published a video analysis showing the sequence of events.

Police dashcam footage and video filmed by a witness, Tiachelle Brown, that was obtained by The New York Times, shows a physical altercation between Brooks and the officers. In the clips, officer Rolfe reportedly says, “Stop that. Stop fighting, stop fighting,” while Brosnan shouts, “You’re going to get Tased.”

Then Brooks says “Mr. Rolfe, come on man. Mr. Rolfe.” He reportedly seized a Taser from Brosnan, and punched Rolfe, who fired his own Taser. Here is what happened next , according to the Times:

The darts hit Mr. Brooks, and Officer Rolfe continues trying to stun him. Mr. Brooks runs away, holding Officer Brosnan’s Taser gun. Officer Rolfe gives chase, and continues to try to stun Mr. Brooks.

The security camera footage filmed at Wendy’s shows Officer Rolfe chasing Mr. Brooks. In seconds, Officer Rolfe passes his Taser from his right hand to his left hand, and reaches for his handgun.

While being chased, and in full stride, Mr. Brooks looks behind him, points the Taser he is holding in Officer Rolfe’s direction, and fires it. The flash of the Taser suggests that Mr. Brooks did not fire it with any real accuracy.

Officer Rolfe discards the Taser he is carrying, draws his handgun and fires it three times at Mr. Brooks as he is running away. Mr. Brooks falls to the ground.

The footage can be seen here, but The New York Times warns that it “is disturbing.” After Brooks is shot, neither officer appears to provide any medical assistance. He was taken to the hospital, but died following surgery.

Rolfe was fired, and may face murder charges.

Rolfe, who shot Brooks, has been terminated and may also face murder charges. He had been with the department since 2013.

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard told CNN on Sunday that: “Specifically, (the question is if) Officer Rolfe, whether or not he felt that Mr. Brooks, at the time, presented imminent harm of death or some serious physical injury. Or the alternative is whether or not he fired the shot simply to capture him or some other reason. If that shot was fired for some reason other than to save that officer’s life or to prevent injury to him or others, then that shooting is not justified under the law.”

Brosnan, the other officer involved in the incident, has been placed on administrative leave, according to NPR.

nfl jan 30 super bowl liii   security press conference

Icon SportswireGetty Images

Atlanta’s police chief resigned.

Atlanta’s chief of police Erika Shields stepped down on Saturday. During a press conference, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said that Shields had “offered to immediately step aside as police chief so that the city may move forward with urgency in rebuilding the trust so desperately needed throughout our community.”

Shields said in a statement that her decision was made “out of a deep and abiding love” for her city.

“For more than two decades, I have served alongside some of the finest men and women in the Atlanta Police Department. Out of a deep and abiding love for this City and this department, I offered to step aside as police chief. APD has my full support, and Mayor Bottoms has my support on the future direction of this department,” Shields said. “I have faith in the Mayor, and it is time for the city to move forward and build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.”

rayshard brooks with his family

Rayshard Brooks with his family.

Stewart Trial Attorneys

Brooks had three daughters and a stepson.

His daughters are 1, 2, and 8 years old, and his stepson is 13, according to CNN.

“He was supposed to take his daughter skating today for her birthday,” Justin Miller, an attorney representing the Brooks family, said during a news conference. “Today [Saturday] there was a birthday party, with cupcakes while we were sitting there talking to her mom about why he’s not coming home.”

Brooks’s wife, Tomika Miller, told the Today show on Monday that she hasn’t watched the video of her husband being shot. “I’m already in enough pain right now, so to see anything of my husband being shot down … I couldn’t see that. I can’t stomach that right now … then I have to relive it all over again,” she said. “I don’t know how I’m going to explain it to [our daughter], because I still can’t understand it right now. And I really think that she doesn’t understand that her father’s never coming back home. And I have to explain to her what death is and how we got to keep going and we got to be brave for your father.”

His half-sister, Kiara Owens, told The New York Times that all her brother “wanted to do is work and come home to his kids. The kids have been asking like, ‘Is Daddy coming home?’ And I can’t tell the kids nothing. I can’t tell them.” And a family friend told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Brooks was “an outstanding person,” who was “rarely in any trouble at all,” and “kind.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up to support his family.

There were confrontations between protesters and police after the shooting.

Protesters on Saturday blocked a street near the Wendy’s, chanting “no justice, no peace.” Several members of Brooks’s family also attended the protest. Someone claiming to be his cousin told the crowd: “I want to make enough noise that they investigate the situation.” Police reportedly used tear gas to break up the demonstration outside the building, which was set on fire, according to news reports.

This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Katie Ledecky Talks Olympic Trials and the Celebrity She Wants to See in the Stands
All About Taylor Swift’s Parents, Scott and Andrea Swift
I Was Weeks Away From an Embryo Transfer in Alabama — Now It’s Canceled
Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey’s Full Relationship Timeline
Monica Lewinsky on Becoming a Fashion Campaign Star at 50

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *